Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Reflections - An update - imsurvivor.com

"Some times, when there's trauma to a certain area, especially the head, all the little neurons run for cover, just like when it rains and we all disperse and look for shelter. But after it stops raining we all come right back. Well, sometimes, it works the same way with all the little neurons in your head, they come back."About a year ago, I underwent surgery to remove two meningiomas. If you’re not familiar with my story, you can view it here. I also made before and after videos that you can see here, here, and here.At the time, I had much trouble with my speech, and fine motor skills. Despite the doctors’ repeated attempts in telling me that those processes will in fact come back with time, I was still skeptical.In the weeks and months that followed, I was becoming concerned because even though I was seeing some overall improvement, I just didn’t notice anything where I could clearly say this or that was better than yesterday. I kept wondering “if this is as good as it gets.”My initial surgery was at the end of January, 2008. It’s now the beginning of March, 2009 and I am very excited to say that I see major improvements with my speech and fine motor skills. It has been a remarkable journey.As I'm writing this, I can't help to think what a tremendous opportunity I have here to enlighten people who are going through stuff like this, and wondering like I did, "is this as good as it's gonna get". To you I say the body is a truly amazing piece of work. It takes time to heal, and even more time for certain processes to come back. So if you ever feel like I did, feeling like full recovery is just out of reach, stay strong for anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment